en English
en English

A brave new world – travelling to Europe in the wake of Brexit

Travel To The Eu Post Brexit

Whether you’re visiting your holiday homes or looking forward to a relaxing holiday in a static caravan or lodge, travel to Europe will look a little different in 2021 post Brexit.

There are a few issues that can impact on your stay. Read on to find out more about post-Brexit travel so you can relax and visit Europe hassle-free.

What about my passport?

The days of grabbing your passport and heading through the fast-track EU line are now over. You might be stopped and asked about your travel plans and how you intend to finance them, so be prepared for some holdups and to show your tickets and travel money. The rules don’t apply to Ireland and Portugal has promised to fast-track UK passport holders.

You will also need a 10-year passport with more than six months of validity. So if you’re travelling to the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland you may need to renew your passport earlier. The good news is that this doesn’t apply to Ireland and you can stay there as long as your passport is valid.

You don’t currently need a visa to travel to the EU, but that will change in the next few years as the EU is aiming to introduce the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) by 2022. This will cost each traveller £6 for a permit that lasts three years.

Don’t forget your travel insurance

The good news is that you can still use your EHIC until it expires and then apply for the new GHIC which continues to provide emergency healthcare. However, you’re still best to take out some comprehensive travel insurance to cover all your healthcare needs.

Do I need a driving permit?

More good news – there’s no need to get a European driving permit to visit the EU but you will need to ask your insurers for a green card and that can take around a month to arrive. You’ll also need to clearly display a GB sticker.

What about my pet?

Pets can still travel with you to the EU but the pet passport is no longer valid. Instead, you’ll need to get an animal health certificate (AHC) from your vet which can take a month to arrange. You’ll need a new AHC for every trip.

Are we back to roaming charges?

The major network providers say they’re committed to free roaming in the EU so it might be worth switching networks before you travel. The government has capped the maximum charge for roaming data at £45 a month.

How long can I stay?

We’ve already discussed how long you can stay in the EU, which may affect those of you with holiday homes. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180 day period and if you’re visiting Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania visits to other EU countries won’t count towards your 90 day total.

The all-important question – how much wine can I bring back?

This is one area where you really will notice the differences as gone are the days of filling up a van with cigarettes and Alcohol Your limits are now 18 litres of wine, 42 litres of beer, 4 litres of spirits and just 200 cigarettes.

Keep checking our website and gov.uk for any travel changes.
Keep up to date with our latest news and blogs here: https://www.caravansinthesun.com/blog/

Latest posts

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Stay updated